2 years ago
Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Living with allergies
Monday night during Family Home Evening, Eric kept scratching his hands and face and rubbing his eyes. By the time we were done his eyes were really red and puffy and he was bleeding from one of the places he had scratched. We realized he was having a reaction to one of his allergies(he is allergic to milk, eggs and peanuts) and gave him some Benadryl to help with the itching and swelling. He has NEVER had a reaction like this before. He would get a rash and start scratching, but never swell up like he was. It was kind of scary seeing him all swollen like that. If he is that swollen on his face, his airway could be doing the same thing! We don't even know what he was exposed to or how. We have no eggs, no one had peanut butter that day, dinner had no eggs, peanuts or milk, except the milk we drink. We're thinking maybe we cleaned up some spilled milk with the washrag and didn't rinse it out before we used it to clean up Eric, but we don't know for sure. Anyways, we're just really glad he is okay and he didn't need anything more than some Benadryl and Albuterol (to ensure his airway was open). It does make me realize how real and serious these allergies can be. A reactin like this can happen really fast. I'm glad we were home and Bret was around when it did happen. We'll have to more careful from now on. I used to use a separate washrag just for Eric and a different one for cleaning counters and table, but I've gotten more relaxed about it as he has gotten older. I was hoping he had outgrown his allergies some. Now we know he hasn't, yet!!


Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Poor guy. He's had it rough! Good thing he's such a happy boy. :) I'm glad it's not all three of your boys. I keep thinking that just maybe nothing bad will ever happen to Kylie, and then reality strikes and I know that won't be the case. But sometimes I think it would be nice.
Post a Comment